Friday, May 31, 2013

Macklemore's Minimalism Inspiration in Wings


Kendan introduced me to Macklemore's music right before I had my financial awakening in November 2012. One of the first songs he showed me was "Wings", and it centers around Macklemore's lifelong journey into consumerism. As a little boy, he cherishes his Nike shoes and reflects now on how it consumed him after time. I listened to this song multiple times within hours and was hit in the face with the amount of truth in the lyrics. 
We want what we can't have, commodity makes us want it
So expensive, damn, I just got to flaunt it
Got to show 'em, so exclusive, this that new shit
A hundred dollars for a pair of shoes I would never hoop in
I'm an individual, yea, but I'm part of a movement
My movement told me be a consumer and I consumed it
They told me to just do it, I listened to what that swoosh said
After listening to this, I started to think about a few things. At this point, I hadn't been buying expensive items for years, but it still stuck a chord with me. So many people (kids and adults) grow up thinking that they need the latest and greatest of everything. They are just material items. I guess the problem I have with them is that once you give an item that much power over who you are as a person, then it will begin to consume you. I'm all about wearing something that makes you feel great. For me, that could mean an $8 dress from Goodwill or a $2 shirt. Dropping $100 on some shoes is something unheard of for me, but the message is all the same. He was at a point where he didn't even take the shoes out of the box!
Look at what that swoosh did
See it consumed my thoughts
Are you stupid, don't crease 'em, just leave 'em in that box
Strangled by these laces, laces I can barely talk
That's my air bubble and I'm lost, if it pops

After hearing this song, I knew immediately that I was making the right choice by embracing minimalism. Check it out below and see if it rings true in any aspect of your life. You may not be into shoes, but  I'll bet this could apply to another situation or object that's taking hold of your life in a way you probably didn't even notice.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!