Thursday, September 18, 2014

Work Like a Captain. Play Like a Pirate.

I've chosen a nautical theme for our baby's non-existent nursery. I say non-existent because we're currently saving up to buy a house and don't have anywhere to put a baby as of now. Alas, I have another five months before I pop, so it's not a problem right now. I've been on the look out for nautical-themed items and found this tin sign below on the Hobby Lobby website.


Cute, right?! I loved it and thought about going by there this week to snag one for $15.99. Most of their stuff is usually 50% off, so it would be about $8 if I bought it on sale. Then I remembered that our budget is really, really tight since we're saving $2,700 a month for the aforementioned house. So I set to work in my free Paint.NET program to design one for myself. 



I was able to completely customize it with my own spin on it. I found some great inspiration while Googling things like "pirate vector", "pirate eye patch", and yes, even "duck dynasty beard". I'll head to Office Depot or Office Max this week to print off the 8 in. × 10 in. image and pop it into a frame. Heck, I may even spray paint a cheap frame white just to set it all off. I'm planning on designing some more custom artwork before the baby arrives so I'll have plenty of items to decorate with once we move in to our first home.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

3 comments:

  1. Love it. Can you post a high resolution version so we can print it for our kids room too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact me via email and I'll send you the file! See my site for more info.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!