Saturday, January 4, 2014

Our Move Out of Austin & Where We're At Now

We finally moved and are settling in to our temporary lifestyles as we piece our future together. We moved back to our hometown on January 1st, because why not start the new year off in a completely new environment with dozens of uncertainties?!

The night before the move (New Year's Eve), my brother-in-laws, a friend, my husband, and I all went to a dinner at Bouldin Creek Cafe. I was completely peaceful, and you'll probably hear me say this again, but even as I knew there were more boxes to be packed at the apartment, there was a calm that had washed over me. I had thought before that I was rushed on making decisions and I tend to second guess myself, but this was different.

My close friend texted me as we were waiting for the ball to drop in New York, and I made plans to meet up with her the next day. This is a friend that I had met a few years ago, and she had become my mentor of sorts in life, providing me with guidance, tough love, and support when I always needed it the most. During breakfast on New Year's day, it was clear to me that I had made the right decision, and she further assured me of this.

We zipped around the apartment once we began to move boxes into the vehicles and trailer, and things became a blur from there. I quickly began cleaning the apartment and putting the final touches on it to ensure we wouldn't be slammed with ridiculous fees upon moving out. The worst part of this move is that we'll be hit with a $645 fine for moving out before our lease originally ended and we're also responsible for paying the rent through February 9th. Yay!

I knew we wouldn't have an easy out or perfect timing, so living with family while we figure out where we'll live was the obvious solution to this, as we didn't want to immediately move in to another apartment and pay double rent. My parent's garage has a corner carved out with our possessions, and we're all happier now that it's done.

I'm currently looking for a position, but am optimistic with several opportunities popping up. We'll continue to work through this and are excited about beginning our lives in the Houston area. I'll be attempting to write more and more as I take a little time to have a mental break while I search for my next position. I promised myself to not churn out content just because, and my absence in the last couple of months is due to all of the move and decisions floating around in my head lately. You'll be hearing more from me soon!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

9 comments:

  1. Moves are tough no matter how you look at it. You are blessed with dear friends, a supportive family and a lifestyle that has prepared you both for this challenge! Can't wait to hear more down the road. Your posts always brighten my day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, thank you so much! It's definitely easier since we moved to our hometown with over 50+ relatives. My husband and I are lucky to be surrounded by all of them as we build our lives down here! Thank you for reading, and I certainly have a backlog of content and posts that I need to share soon. :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize you were moving! I'm in San Antonio, and recently moved to a new place (with my new husband). While it was within the same city, I experienced some of the same stress and craziness. I think that's just how moves go. But, it felt good to start the new year off in a new place. All is calm now :)

    What made you decide to move, especially while still having a lease and all that? I did the same a few years ago from NYC---> San Antonio with the same lease issues and job situation. It all worked out :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erin, I am just now catching up with my comments! We *luckily* just found out that the $912 has been waived from our apartment in Austin. We were supposed to pay $227 in February prorated rent and a $685 cancellation fee. I think they may have felt bad enough that we paid $759 for January rent, even though I handed them the keys on January 1st. All is well, and it worked out great!

      I'll be writing more and just released my newest blog post today --> http://www.thelittleredjournal.com/2014/02/settling-in-to-our-new-home.html

      So happy to hear you like the blog, and looking forward to having you read more!

      Delete
    2. Yay! I just read your new blog post and am glad it's all working out :) When it's meant to be, it will be!

      Delete
  3. I've moved twice to follow my husband's job, and it always takes a little time to find a job and get used to the new environment. Also, moving is always super stressful! (I've moved 10 times in the past 7 years, so I know from experience.)

    Luckily, since you moved back to your hometown, you probably already have a nice support network in place! Good luck on the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise - thank you for your comment, and yes, I found a job! I just accepted an offer and will be starting on Monday. Thank you for the positive vibes, and yes, we truly are SO much happier to be surrounded by family. More to come very soon!

      Delete
  4. I just discovered your blog and really enjoy it. I hope you'll be back to posting once you're settled in from the move :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica, and welcome! I've been terrible lately at blogging and keeping up, but was focused on finding a job. Now that I have, I plan to post more. Let me know if you ever need anything, and feel free to contact me via email with the buttons in the top right of this page. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!