Friday, December 14, 2012

30 Dr. Seuss Quotes that Can Change Your Life












Each week I babysit two little munchkins that I met during my stint at a local daycare as the youngest child's teacher. We've got our routine down really well and when it's time to settle in for the night, I read them each a few books. Dr. Seuss books are always scattered on their bookshelves and I often reach for those when it's time for their stories. The youngest likes to read Green Eggs and Ham, Left Foot, Right Foot, and The Cat in the Hat. The older child enjoys Oh, The Places You'll Go

I often try to read Oh, The Places You'll Go to them, because there are so many amazing pieces of advice in that book. My high school English teacher read this to us at the end of our junior year, and I didn't fully get it until just recently. It's generic enough to apply it to any situation, but there are a few sentences that really stand out to me. While reading this recently, I began to think about how much it really applied to my life, where I've been and where I'm headed. The part that really struck me was the bit about waiting: 
The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.Waiting for the fish to biteor waiting for wind to fly a kiteor waiting around for Friday nightor waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jakeor a pot to boil, or a Better Breakor a string of pearls, or a pair of pantsor a wig with curls, or Another Chance. 
Everyone is just waiting.No! That’s not for you!Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying.You’ll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing!With banner flip-flapping, once more you’ll ride high!Ready for anything under the sky!
Reading this nearly nine years after hearing it in my high school English class really has an impact on me since I know more now than I did then. I was always so naive and thought the world was different. Then I learned it's really what you make of it, and that all depends on how much effort you'd like to put into it. Although I've learned many valuable lessons since entering "adulthood", these books are something we should all read, no matter what our age, from time to time.

One of my personal favorite Dr. Seuss quotes is simply the word "Unless". After switching to a vegan diet for health reasons in February 2012, I found that word to be amazingly inspirational. The actual quote is, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." This will be my next tattoo, and it applies to so many different aspects of my life. I pride myself in being different, and that's why there's a little red bird on The Little Red Journal logo.

See my "Unless" tattoo and why I selected this Dr. Seuss quote for my third piece of art.

Below are 30 great Dr. Seuss quotes [infographic created by Mamiverse] that I'm sure many of you can glean some inspiration from.



Which quote is your favorite? Let me hear it below in the comments!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

6 comments:

  1. I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, Brian! So true, and I appreciate your comment. I hope to gather up all of the Dr. Suess books, as his writing strikes a nostalgic chord in me.

      Delete
  2. Finding his earlier works are fairly easy. Most of his post children books not so. But happy hunting safe journeys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words to live by. I love your blogs!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The agency I work for just put on the production Seussical. It is a musical based on a handful of Dr. Seuss books. It was great, and truly inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the "You have brains in your head & feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you chose." My absolute fav quote from Dr. Seuss is "Kid, you'll move mountains And will you succeed? Yes, you will, indeed! (98 and 1/4% guaranteed.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!