Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Broccoli Cheeze Soup


My grandmother visited me a couple months ago and one of the first things she asked me was if I missed her broccoli and cheese soup. Of course I did... They were feeding it to me at the wee age of six months old! She didn't fully understand my desire or motivation to go plant-based in February 2012, but was almost tempting me by just getting me to think about it. Since then, I've kept my eyes peeled for something similar, and while this one doesn't taste exactly like hers, it definitely satisfied my cravings!

Broccoli Cheeze Soup
yields 6 bowls of soup

2 heads of broccoli, destemmed and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cups unsweetened almond milk
3 cups water
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. parsley
6 tablespoons cornstarch

1. Steam broccoli and onion in a medium pan with 2 cups water for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the rest of the ingredients in another pot and stir with whisk until smooth over medium heat.
3. Sauce will begin to thicken after a few minutes. If too thick, thin out with almond milk. If too thin, thicken with additional cornstarch.
4. Add steamed broccoli and onion to the cheeze sauce.
5. Serve with pepper to taste.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!