Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Spring Cleaning for Your Bathroom + Dollar Shave Club Interview


Spring is here and as a minimalist, all I can think about is purging more items from our household inventory. To inspire you to create a zen, minimalist bathroom, here are some quick tips for keeping your bathroom tidy and in order. I've also included an interview with Dollar Shave Club, which offers a great way to save on razors.

1. Remove duplicates if at all possible. I had a HUGE stockpile of chapsticks that I found after cleaning up my bathroom before our big move at the beginning of the year. If you don't need it, donate it or give it to someone who will use it.

2. Limit your hair products. Seriously. It's amazing what a bottle of detangler will do for you. I use it to spruce up my hair before work to give it some body and lift.

3. Audit your makeup items. I may be boring, but I keep my makeup bag to a bare minimum with only foundation, brushes, concealer, two eyeshadows that I pair, mascara, and eyeliner. That's it. No need for all the fancy tools and extras. Keep it simple.

4. Check your medicine cabinet. I routinely check labels and properly discard of any items that are way too old. During Hurricane Rita in August 2005, I volunteered to help out with refugees from Galveston, TX and came down with who-knows-what. Luckily, my husband's grandma had a bottle of medicine that had to have been 20 years old. Let's just say I didn't remember Hurricane Rita blowing through Huntsville that night.

What tips and tricks do you have to keep a simple, minimalist bathroom? 

Now what about saving money on bathroom items? I love to hear from readers, and when I heard from Dollar Shave Club, I thought it made perfect sense to interview them, as I love saving money. Their slogan is: "a great shave for a few bucks a month." Sounds good to me. I personally don't love shaving and find it to be such a, ahem, hairy situation. When I first met my boyfriend-now-husband, I told him, "I don't like shaving my legs. So if that's a dealbreaker, let me know." But I'll be honest: there's nothing like shaving with a good razor.

When the time rolls around to tackle the jungle that I call my legs, I opt for a nicer razor, as you pay for the cheap ones twofold in nicks and cuts. I had heard of Dollar Shave Club before, but was surprised that women could also benefit from their service. It's also affordable, with packages at only $3 per month, with shipping and handling, up to $9 a month. You know by now that I'm a frugal person, but I think the $3/month option sounds pretty doable, even for a small budget.

Check out this NSFW video below about the company (contains cursing!):


LRJ: I see that you have plenty of options for men. Do you offer women's products, too?

DSC: All of our products are great for women! We recommend the 4X (aka the Lover’s Blade), but our women members have told us they love the Executive, too.

LRJ: I'm all about saving money. I've even splurged on waxing, but that gets expensive really quickly. What does an average person spend on razors a month, and how does this compare money-wise?

DSC: According to this WSJ article, about $20/month is usually spent per month, as compared to Dollar Shave Club options.

LRJ: What were some of the issues that he wanted to address by creating such a service?

DSC: Basically, help people save money and provide a great, fun service.

About the Company
Dollar Shave Club couldn't be simpler. Select one of our great razors, pay one low monthly fee, and we send 'em right to your door. No more over-paying for fancy brand name shave tech. No more forgetting to buy your blades.

 Links | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

6 comments:

  1. Well, I know it's fall, but I'm going to use your tips! :D I think that they are very useful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love keeping a tidy bathroom, and while it's great to have a nice stock of items, I prefer to keep duplicates stored away elsewhere. If you're anything like me, you're probably rushing to get ready in the morning, so keeping everything organized is a must to cut your time to get ready. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. You gave me great ideas how to organize better my bathroom! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a professional cleaner, I have to say that I love your advices! They are great! I hope more people will read them!
    Maryland Carpet Cleaners Ltd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic article. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!