Friday, May 10, 2013

Herbivore Herbivore Abroad Cookbook Review


I'm sure many of you know by now that I 'm a huge Happy Herbivore fan. I found her after doing some searches on the internet for plant-based lifestyle research, and it's been so great to have a resource with quick and easy recipes. I've even been featured on her blog as an Herbie of the Week near my one year veganniversary! She's continued to be a source of inspiration for my plant-based lifestyle, as well as introduced me to the idea of minimalism. Be sure to follow her on Twitter and Facebook, as her posts always put a smile on my face.

Happy Herbivore Abroad is the third cookbook that Lindsay S. Nixon (The Happy Herbiviore) has created, and she's now working on her fifth, with the fourth due out in December 2013. We're excited to purchase the next two books, and I highly recommend her recipes to everyone who shows an interest in eating a plant-based meal. My dad used to say that I couldn't even boil a pot of water, so to find some cookbooks that were 30 minutes or less to make a meal and didn't use crazy ingredients was a huge relief for me. Not only did this make going plant-based super easy, but it also helped me feel comfortable in the kitchen.

When we received this cookbook in the mail, I waited until my husband arrived home so that he could open it. We were pretty excited to try out these new recipes since we loved her first two, and were not disappointed in the least. After we get home from a long day at work, we can usually pull out this cookbook (or any of her others) and quickly whip up a meal. I like the no-fuss instructions, common ingredient lists (no searching the supermarket for a vegetable I've never heard of!), and they always turn out delicious. You can find this cookbook on Amazon for less than $12, and I've found that it's paid for itself time and time again!

Here's a few of our favorites from the cookbook:
Cuban Black Bean Soup (p. 17)
Thai Noodle Soup (p. 20)
Lentil Taco "Meat" (p. 43)
Taquito's (p. 53
German Potato Salad (p. 63)
Champ (p. 64)
Thai Mango Curry (p. 93)
Thai Pineapple Curry (p. 94)
Stuffed Poblanos (p. 96)
Roasted Tomato Pilaf (p. 124)
Crepes (p. 158)
Curry Ketchup (p .191)
Enchilada Sauce (p. 201)
Bacon Bits (p. 246)
Sunshine Muffins (p. 250)
Carolina Casserole (p. 265)
Ninny's Fruit Spring Rolls (p. 276)
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (p. 280)

Our dog, Taffy, posing with my Happy Herbivore Abroad cookbook
Lentil Taco "Meat"
Making enchiladas with the Lentil Taco "Meat"
Enchiladas with Lentil Taco "Meat"
Crepes
Ninny's Fruit Spring Rolls with peanut dipping sauce
Carolina Casserole (a hit with our omnivorous family members!)
Pineapple Upside-down Cake
Cuban Black Bean Soup with rice
Taquitos with vegan sour cream
Roasted Tomato Pilaf

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!