Friday, May 24, 2013

Two New Tats: What They Are & Why They Are In My Budget


So I've been thinking for several months about getting another tattoo. After six months of being vegan, I celebrated my veganniversary with an herbivore tattoo, and now it's been another nine months since my last inking. I felt like the time was right to get another and it's been long enough for me to forget the pain. I've booked the same artist that did my elephant, and instead of one, I'm going to get two new tattoos tonight: the word "Unless!" and the birds on a wire as an homage to The Little Red Journal. First, let me explain a few things.

The word "Unless!" is from The Lorax movie. I know what you're thinking. A Dr. Seuss quote?! The actual quote is, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing will get better. It's not." I feel like I'm always the outsider in the things I've been doing lately. The whole veganism thing was a little left-field for me, but it's turned out to be a great change. We're also focusing on our debt like never before. Most people don't understand that and the choice we've made to hold off on starting our little vegan family. I'm proud to say that we're focused on our goals and have been making great progress. Don't even get me started on the minimalism... That's not quite the norm, either.

I created this blog as a way to escape my daily work life in July 2010, which included zero writing. Since that job, I've had a couple more, and luckily now I am writing much more than I ever have before professionally. The original Little Red Journal kept me sane in high school, and even now into my late 20s, the digital version has been a saving grace. I've also evolved over the last few years and this blog has, too. It's been great to write and know that people are reading it, enjoying it, discussing it, and that I'm truly having an impact, no matter how big or small. That's my goal here, and I am proud of what this blog has been and is becoming.

With our strict budget, I obviously was worried about scheduling two tattoos in one sitting. The cost for these tattoos will be roughly $150. One of the first posts of the months for May discussed a chair that almost blew our budget for the same price. So why tattoos and not the cute new chair that would match my couch? I have shifted my focus away from material possessions and onto more life experiences. Getting a third and fourth tattoo are definitely one of those life experiences for me. While adorable living room chairs make me drool, tattoos last a lifetime and are more than worth it.

These tattoos are not technically in the budget, but I am excited to have this done tonight.  I never thought I would ever see myself having a tattoo, let alone four, or let's be honest, a dozen by the time I get through. I've continually surprised myself in the person that I'm becoming and I don't think that's a bad thing. These tattoos all represent a part of my bigger story, and I am definitely one for documenting everything, either through the written word or in another form, and this is just another way to tell my story.

Wish me luck. I'm going under the needle tonight at 9 p.m. And yes, I'll be instragramming the whole thing and blogging about it later.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!