Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Life: Why Planning Never Works

For so long, I envisioned my life in this order: grow up (check!), earn a college degree (check!), marry an amazing man (check!) and start a fulfilling career (still working on it). Among other chapters in my life, raising a family was at the top of the list. I've thought long and hard on this and have decided that may have to wait just a bit. And I totally won't lie to any of you when I say I'm just not there yet.

It's nights like these (every other Tuesday) when I care for two amazing children. I cherish these moments with them and can't wait to fully experience this completely one day, but something tells me I'm just not there yet. I am excited for the possibility of children in the next five or so years, but always imagined it would be wedding bells followed shortly by the pitter patter of tiny feet (on my dark hardwood floor of the house we don't own yet)!

Unfortunately, I am all practical and waiting for the absolute right moment (maybe when my husband and I both have steady jobs and we say to each other, "what student loans?!") These thoughts never crossed my mind when I was writing out the outline of my life!

If you have been following my blog, you might remember me jokingly saying I planned to eat better this year. I have taken it seriously and stocked up on fruits and vegetables. The change isn't so terrible (cucumbers and red onions "spice up" my salads for lunch), and I discovered I prefer honeydew melons over cantaloupe. I also am trying to stick with water and am proud to say I can't remember the last time I had a soda. Maybe I'll even dust off the 'ol Wii Fit Board. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, though!

My husband is well informed of the situation and has been ordered to keep me in line. I always give up way too early, but not this year. I have to start taking better care of myself now if I want to be ready for an extra heartbeat later on--planned or not! This won't be easy, but that's what goals are all about.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!