Saturday, January 15, 2011

1) Make List of Goals 2) Accomplish Them (or at least try!)

I've been thinking about my recent post, and upon viewing it from the reader's perspective, I can see how it may have been misleading. I mentioned how I had always "envisioned my life", and how it wasn't going as planned. I won't lie: I don't have my life figured out. At all.

I'll start off with this: I am a planner (which I know is silly, because we're always growing as individuals and changing our views and perceptions of ourselves). I was always a planner. During my junior year of high school, I had "planned" my college career. Then when I was told I had to take calculus for a teaching degree by my college advisor, I quickly changed my plans.

Even a week before I set out for college, my boyfriend (husband, now) urged me to follow my true passion: writing. After a year at the magazine I worked for, I changed my plans again and pursued something entirely different! It's not that I'm what you would call "wishy-washy". I sometimes see a different path, and think, "I'll try that!"

And all of my decisions boil down to my list of goals. I never actually wrote them down, but I always have a mental list of what I would like to accomplish in a month, a year or a decade. It's definitely not etched in stone, and if I did have an actual list on paper, it would be covered with eraser marks and entire paragraphs would be scratched out.

The point I'm trying to make is whether we realize it or not, we all have something we're striving for in this moment or by next year. I never feel like I have a clear vision of any of my goals, how I will accomplish them or if I will even be pursuing the same ones in six months.

That's the beauty of it, though! You can always add one to your list or start from scratch when you're really feeling adventurous. And with that, I think I will re-evaluate mine. It needs some fine tuning.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!