Friday, October 5, 2012

Potato & Mushroom Soup


I love to find an easy recipe that is simple yet delicious. Well, I didn't have time to look for one during a busy week and I had some potatoes and mushrooms that I needed to use up before it was too late. Ever since I went plant-based, I have become more brave in the kitchen. I just waltzed right into the kitchen and started to grab some ingredients and the result was marvelous.

The inspiration for this recipe was spawned by my purchase of an immersion blender that I just snagged from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I am so thrilled to have this blender now and you can rest assured knowing that I will most likely be adding many more variations of soups in the future to my recipe section!

As a new cook, I was extremely pleased and proud when my husband nodded in approval after trying this soup. He suggested that you have a few chunks of potatoes in your bowl and then pour my soup over it. Try it out and let me know what you think!

Potato & Mushroom Soup
yields 6 bowls of soup

3 cups water
4 small red potatoes, diced
10 mushrooms, destemmed and cut
4 stalks green onions, chopped
1/2 red onion
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. parsley
1 cup almond or other non-dairy milk

1. Pour water into large pot and bring to a boil.
2. Chop potatoes, mushrooms, green onions and red onions. If more water is needed, add to cover veggies.
3. Add chopped veggies to the boiling water and add in thyme, basil, ginger and parsley.
4. Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. If desired, take a few diced pieces of potato and place in your soup bowls.
6. Blend the ingredients in the pot with an immersion blender.
7. Add almond or non-dairy milk and continue to blend until smooth.
8. Pour over the diced potatoes (optional) and serve with cracked pepper.

*We also made a batch of cornbread by Happy Herbivore. Absolutely amazing paired together!


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

1 comment:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!