Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vegan Almond Blueberry Cobbler


When I began my journey, one of the first things I did was "like" the Engine 2 Diet page on Facebook. They are constantly posting amazing recipes, inspirational stories and the latest research on plant-based diets. After a week-long Whole Foods immersion they held in Marble Falls, Texas, a recipe for blueberry dumpster cobbler popped up in my news feed. This looked amazing and I knew I had the ingredients necessary to make this delectable dessert. 

As I whipped up the recipe, I realized that I should probably double it, and why not add in some almond extract instead of vanilla? As soon as I slid the pan into the oven, I knew I had made the right creative modification to this and was pleased with the outcome. You could substitute the blueberries with raspberries or even blackberries, but either way, the almond extract made the recipe stand out from other desserts I've had recently. Try this out and let me know what your modifications are!

Almond Blueberry Cobbler
yields nine square servings

1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. almond extract
1 1/3 cup unsweetened almond or non-dairy milk 
4 tbsp maple syrup
2 cups blueberries (or raspberries/blackberries)

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the almond extract, milk, and maple syrup.
4. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Pour the batter into an 8x8 square non-stick pan.
6. Sprinkle the berries over the batter evenly. 
7. Bake for 45 minutes.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!