Monday, July 9, 2012

Interview with Kendan


Kendan, my husband, has been super supportive during my lifestyle change. Recently, I noticed he looked a little different. After asking him to step on the scale, we were shocked to see he had lost a total of 30 lbs. over the last five months! I'd been begging him to sit down and talk with me about why he's made the same changes and to find out how he feels about the switch.

What made you want to make this switch?
You had some pretty convincing arguments about the health stuff, so I just went along with it. It made it easier that you wanted to do it and I didn't have a problem with that.

Had you ever considered going vegan before?
In high school, I went vegetarian for a short period of time. I didn't really tell anybody about it and I just didn't eat any meat. No one really noticed. I'm not really a vegan, but have cut out many animal products -- I still have a leather belt that I wear and a leather wallet.

Have your reasons evolved since we made the switch?
It started out with health reasons but I've always been thinking about eating an animal in general. Why kill an animal to eat the meat, when you could eat something else instead? When we were at family gatherings and there was BBQ, no one else made a big deal about eating meat, so it didn't really cross my mind. It's just always been the norm.

What keeps you going strong with this lifestyle?
I've lost 30 lbs. over the last five months, so why would I go back to eating meat and animal products when I know that's what caused the weight gain in the first place?

What has been the hardest food to give up?
Every once in a while, I definitely want to have "regular" ice cream -- like Amy's Ice Cream -- or something with heavy cream fat in it.

You don't like my fruit ice cream?
No, it's good, but -- and I'm sorry to say this, but that Boston Cream Pie that Amy's had... pretty, pretty good.

Do you miss milk and eggs?
I really didn't drink milk, only with cereal and I haven't had cereal for a long time so it isn't that bad. I won't lie, I do miss eggs in baked items. The vegan carrot cake [without eggs] from Whole Foods is good.

What's the one meat that you really miss? (I hate to bring this up -- I don't want you to relapse!)
Well, when you eat the Bac'n Cheeze Burger [from Arlo's Food Truck], it is almost the same thing as a "real" bacon cheeseburger. It tastes pretty much the same, so it's not like I miss it.

This was a pretty big change for us. Has it been hard to change what you eat?
I just like food. And if the food is good, then I'll eat it. Can I cook this vegan macaroni? All this talk about food now... 


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!