Saturday, June 4, 2011

Anxiously Waiting

I had two job interviews last week, and I feel that both of them went well. I never really stopped looking for a (degree-related) job. Even at the print shop, I always had an eye out for something involving writing.

In January, within a few days, I found two opportunities. That's not actually true; I found one and tried to create another. At the school district I work for, a communications job was posted that caught my eye. I quickly applied and thought, this is perfect!

A few days later, I googled publishing firms in the area and found an amazing company that actually looked fun. I've heard the whole thing over and over about, "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life!"

So far I have not found that to be true. But after interviewing (for the second time) with the publishing firm, it really hit me that could be true for me someday soon. But back to the interviews.

The first one went great! I felt extremely qualified and the work environment offers plenty of growth and personal development. It offers an opportunity to learn the publishing industry from the ground up. I walked out of there feeling great, and then drove only ten minutes to my apartment. Saving on gas would be a definite plus!

The second one went equally as well and was scheduled only two days later. I was thrown some tricky questions and within a few minutes I realized I was not excited about this particular position. It has more to do with writing than the first, but there is absolutely no possibility for promotion.

The publishing job has a high chance of developing into something much more and previous assistants have moved into other departments in the company as a result of their hard work.

I've always worked hard and always had a goal. If there isn't a ladder, or a "next step", then what are you working towards? I am somewhat of a gamer, and "leveling up" feels awesome. There is a rush of accomplishment that comes with conquering each quest.

Come Monday, I will find out if either was a match for me. Landing one or the other position would be an automatic level up for me, but I crave more. I'm ready to take the first step.






Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!