Sunday, June 5, 2011

Your Mom is on FB

When I was preparing to move off to college in the summer of 2005, I distinctly remember the moment I signed up for Facebook. Back then you actually had to have an e-mail address that ended with ".edu"!

It felt so exclusive. I thought to myself, "I am so elite!" Alas, six years later and I see high school students, parents, community members and family that I never imagined would have an FB account.

I'm sure this subject has been touched on before, but I will tell you my personal experience. I was horrified when I saw my mother wanted to add me as a friend. I thought, "Now I have to censor myself!"

And I did for a while. But she has surprised me with just as many comebacks and comments on my statutes that remind me of why we all need these social media outlets. I dare say that FB has made us closer as a family (with my blood-related family members as well as the family I married into).

When I once cringed at the thought of my mom seeing my status updates, I now look to FB to see what everyone is up to and then I make a phone call and find myself saying, "Did you see what so-and-so posted about blank?"

In a place that was created with such exclusivity, and a place I honestly thought was losing that power with the addition of high schoolers with Hotmail accounts, I am now grateful for the changes FB has made.

The social network has completely reinvented the way I interact with all of you. I'm so thankful for that!

Why do you love FB?

Blog idea by Chris Brogan





Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!