Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Total Money Makeover

I think I'm pretty good with money. We do have our weaknesses, such as eating out (I despise cooking and the mess it tends to make), as well as shopping for clothes. Other than that, I just save whatever is left.

I've never actually made a budget, but I am about to learn. During my lunch breaks, I catch The Dave Ramsey Show on 98.9 The Big Talker here in Austin. He always says something that catches my attention, including his constant urge for listeners to take part in a total money makeover.

He teaches Seven Baby Steps to financial peace. I started reading this book two days ago, and have had a hard time putting it down. Yesterday rocked my financial world escalating my situation from doable to downright terrifying.

My parents graciously paid off my student loan, but my husband discovered an $8,000 chunk of money we had forgotten that he borrowed. This discovery virtually canceled out the payment of my loan, in a sense.

As a result, we are learning how to budget tomorrow. I will be printing off the budgeting forms and getting to work on this. Luckily, we don't have any credit card debt. We aren't starting off too bad, but I would like to be debt-free in less than two years.

We'll see how this goes!




Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!