Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother Knows Best

Early on a Sunday morning, I have quietly woken up before my alarm. No more sleeping in until noon and groggily hearing the shrieks of my parents, "what is wrong with our teenagers?!"

No, I am now 24 and laying in a bed my father made for me as a teenager while I listen to my mom and dad prepare some food today. It's Mother's Day morning, and this post will be a shoutout to them both.

Mom, thanks for reading to me every night as a small child. Over the last two years, I have regularly babysat and put two amazing kids to sleep while their parents went out on a date. A huge part of our routine is story time.

I had asked my mom a couple of years ago if she read to us before bed. Taking offense to this question, she defended herself with, "of course we read to you! Every night!"

My bad! Memory has never been my best friend. This nightly reading obviously shines through in mine and my brother's lives. He uses words to make music, and I string words together to make stories. Thanks, guys, for taking the time to patiently answer our "but why"'s during the reading sessions with a "let's listen and find out".

I was going to make this post about my dad, too, but they heard me giggle over their comments while cooking. So, I need to get downstairs and be a helpful daughter. At any age, you're still a daughter or a son. Don't ever forget.






Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!