Monday, June 9, 2014

New Camera for the Hubby to Celebrate Student Debt Payoff


After paying off our student debt ($17,000 in less than 18 months!!), we began to start saving up for the next big goal: a down payment for a house. Aside from this, I knew my husband had been dreaming of a new camera for several years. We've never made the money we're now making after our move to Houston earlier this year. So dreaming about a camera was as far as we could get. Since we paid off the student debt, I figured we may as well celebrate with another big purchase. Our finances are in order and are shaping up quite nicely, so it couldn't hurt!

My husband recently looked at me while I was working on some content for The Little Red Journal and asked, "How did you get back into your blog?" I knew he was looking for some inspiration to get back into photography, and I wanted to help him just as much as I want to help and inspire all of you! I thought about it for a moment and said, "Well, you just have to figure out what is important to you and what brings you joy. Then, you just have to start somewhere."

I had no clue what I was doing when I first started this little blog. Now it's grown and I've really been going through some growing pains as far as where to take it next. However, my husband had been out of the photography game for a few years now since his nine year old camera had pretty much bit the dust. He was looking for his next spark, and I knew he needed the right tools to get him started. I quickly logged onto our Mint.com account and crunched some numbers to make sure we could pull it off. I told him to go ahead and check out some new cameras and tell me some numbers. He showed me some for $500 and $600, but I knew if we were considering that much, we may as well spend a few hundred more and get something he really loved.

He settled on a Pentax K5IIS with a 50 mm F/1.8 from BH Photo. They even tossed in a free 32GB memory card! So, all in all, he's super psyched and he's been taking TONS of photos with it. It's so fancy, it records video in HD (1080 dpi). What really sold me is that he said he can use it to take photos of our family (which we have yet to start). I quickly was swayed and told him to purchase it that night.

Lesson of the day: invest in your dreams and what makes you truly happy. 


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!