Monday, March 17, 2014

Renting a Room and Keeping it Minimalist


When we first moved in with my husband's cousin at the beginning of the year, we didn't really know how long we would be here. Would it be just a quick pit stop while we looked for our sixth apartment in 8 years? Where would we even begin to look? After a couple of weeks, it seemed that everything was working out just fine. With his permission, we began slowly moving our items into the house that we now shared.



As a reminder, we literally moved on New Year's Day and shoved every single box that we owned into my parent's garage while we figured everything out. I would rummage through all of the boxes, open each one, and mark with more detail what was contained inside them. Now, instead of simply labeling one as "Kitchen", I now knew if there were cups, bowls, or forks inside. Once you've opened a box five or more times, you begin to create a system that makes more sense!

I began bringing items back to our new home that I had carefully selected from the boxes in my parent's garage to piece together our bedroom. This exercise really made me reconsider what was important to me, and I was surprised to see that I had even more items to add to my donate pile. Before we moved out of Austin, I decluttered many areas of the apartment, but not that it was clear we'd be living elsewhere for a while, the decision to toss another shirt into the donation box was that much easier.

Each time I visit my parents now (which is way more often than I can ever remember in year!), I go through another box and really think about what I can do without. My wardrobe has been pared down yet again and my husband now owns more clothing that I do! Our favorite decor is adorning the walls of our bedroom, and we added some kitchen items to the household inventory for communal use. Check out some of our setup, and let me know what you think! I'm loving the simplicity of the room, and know that it's the perfect amount of items for us.


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice colour theme and I do agree that less is more, particularly if you are living in a room. Let’s hope the beauty of minimalism catches up globally; there’s so much products being made each day where are they all going to be stored? It’s mind boggling when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!