Monday, March 10, 2014

New Roomie: This House Just Become More Like Home


I had been counting down the days and waiting for weeks for our newest roommate, my husband's cousin. While we prepared for his arrival, I wanted to make his homecoming something he wouldn't forget. I'm all about a challenge, and I knew I had to budget to make his home something really nice while working with what we already have. I've been making over the house we're currently renting with my husband's cousin (our new roomie's bro), and steadily have been making it a little more cozy.


I started off thinking about what all would be needed but also wanted to make the room a little minimalist. This would give him a good welcome home and at the same time provide some flexibility if he wanted to "make it his own". I thought about a budget for this, and figured about $35 would do the trick. We had the bed and bedding, but aside from that, the room was bare. I'll just jump right into the photos, and then we'll talk numbers.




Picture frame (Target) -- $1.99
Chair and pillow -- $0 (owned by roomate, free)
Laundry basket (Target) -- $3
Fake succulent (Target) -- $3
Lamp (Ikea) -- $0 (owned previously)
Bedding/bed -- $0 (previously owned)
Curtain rod/curtains (Ross) -- $20 
Clock (Target) -- $5
------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL --> $33

I feel like it turned out pretty nice, and our new roommate LOVED his room. Simple and minimalist, but it looked great. I'm becoming a big fan of less is more, and especially renting just one room can really make you appreciate the items that you have with you even more!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!