Friday, August 30, 2013

Downsizing My Closet and Nixing the Chupacabra Tee

Over the last few days, I have given much thought to my closet and everything in it. Even as I sit here, I'm thinking of letting go another shirt. For several years now (I would say at least the last five), I have almost exclusively shopped at thrift stores and Goodwill. This worked especially well for my budget, and I don't mind giving something away since it only cost $2-$9 for each piece. Most shirts I can get for less than $4 each, and shorts are only $7. Jeans are $8 each and dresses are $9 at my local Goodwill.


When my weight began to fluctuate, I happily went to Goodwill, as I really couldn't afford to go to the mall with every five pounds that I had gained. When I began to lose this weight, it was the same story. I needed to get my hands on something that I would wear for only a few months, as it would be loose after wearing it only a few times. I didn't want to invest too much into my wardrobe, and I received lots of compliments since my wardrobe was continually changing. 

So even now, as I sit here and think about my wardrobe over the last five years, I am still thinking about this shirt. I found it my local Goodwill, and it's from an era of Chupacabra sightings several years ago in Cuero, Texas. I think about that one specifically, because I used to wear that all the time! I thought it was funny, and a friend that I met here in Austin said her neighbor actually sold those shirts when she lived in Cuero during high school. It obviously drew me in for those reasons, and I thought it was so funny. The truth is, day after day, I push it aside and haven't worn it in several months now. 


Once I forgot to change out of this shirt while heading over to my weekly babysitting gig and the kids (3 and 5 at the time) were making faces at the shirt and asking what it was. I realized it was probably something I shouldn't have worn, but didn't think much as I left the house that day. It's not that I don't like that shirt less than the day I bought it. I just think it doesn't hold the same place in my heart as the other shirts I've bought since then. I guess I sound a little nuts stressing over this one shirt, but think about your own closet and see if you don't have one or 20 shirts that you'd feel this way about.

I've been taking a few things off hangers lately and placing them in a bag for my next trip to Goodwill. I want the mornings to be a breeze and getting ready shouldn't take lots of agonizing and flipping through my clothes. As part of my journey into minimalism, I'm making an effort to reduce my possessions in my closet, on bathroom shelves, in kitchen cabinets, and even in drawers. With every shirt or item that I donate, I feel great knowing that it will find its way into another home where they'll cherish it much like I have when I owned it. It's just stuff, and you should only surround yourself with your absolute favorites. 


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!