Friday, June 15, 2012

5 Vegetarian & Vegan Q's


Here are some questions that I find myself answering frequently.

Q: How do you get your protein?
A: I've found that this question is most often asked from people who are truly concerned about me. I appreciate this concern and I've done plenty of reading on this subject. I was worried, too, at first that I would need to eat lots of tofu or beans to meet my protein needs. Luckily, protein is found in plenty of foods!

Q: What can you eat?
I focus on fruits, vegetables, whole gains, nuts and beans. I started by following the Engine 2 Diet, so if it has a mother or a face, I don't eat it. Unfortunately, I am still struggling with my cheese addiction, but I have successfully kicked several other bad habits. I'm still a work in progress and strive to stay on track, but yes, it is hard. On Mother's Day, my family cooked fried chicken, dressing and twice-baked potatoes. I happily ate my vegan quiche.

Q: Why are you doing this?
My mother was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January, but it wasn't until mid-February that I started to take my health seriously. After weighing in at my yearly appointment, I was not amused by the number on the scale. I also knew that I had been neglecting my health for far too long. I didn't care to take charge of my health until that number popped up on the scale. I also knew my bloodwork from the previous year wasn't too amazing, and I aimed to improve it (which I have tremendously).

Q: Is this just a diet/temporary thing?
A: People often assume that I have a strict list of things that I can and can't eat, much like a "diet" that people "go on". When most people refer to a "diet" they mean that they are altering their eating for a short period of time for an expected result. I don't intend to go back to the way I was eating (drive-thru lines and canned meals), so I don't refer to this as a "diet", but rather a lifestyle change.

Q: Do you miss meat?
A: About three months in, I was sitting at my desk working away while listening to some music with my headphones on. Suddenly, a smell caught my attention. Could it be pork roast? Yes, yes it was. My coworker, completely unaware of my decision to forgo animal products, probably thought I was insane when I literally took my headphones off and stopped working. Yes, I miss the smell of meat. And yes, I do slightly miss the taste. However, I now know what is the right decision for me and why I'm making that choice.

Here are some other FAQs I face!

Looking to go vegan? Check out these related posts below!
Where to Begin
Kitchen Overhaul
5 Tips for a Healthy Vegan Diet
Pinterest Plant-Strong Board
Top 5 Reactions to "I'm Vegan"
Protein in a Vegan Diet
5 Tips for Eating a Plant-Based Diet (Anywhere)
Veganism in a Nutshell (video)
5 Things I've Learned Through Veganism
Foods That Kill

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!