Monday, January 5, 2015

Make Your Closet Feel More Luxurious With Velvet Hangers


When it comes to purchases that are completely unnecessary and nonessential, I tend to think about them for a long, long time. For several months now, I have been keeping an eye out for a good deal on velvet hangers. Why? I have no idea, but I loved the look of them in some closets I had seen while reading about minimalism. The fact that you'd pay a little more for a hanger (upwards of $0.30–$0.50 each) would sort of force you to keep your wardrobe in check.

Even while I'm nearing week 32 of my pregnancy, I have managed to keep a very small wardrobe with a limited number of tops and bottoms to get me through. I was able to use several tops from my prepregnancy days during this time and was fortunate enough to borrow several pairs of pants from a colleague who was pregnant over a year ago with her first child. Even my original wardrobe had been whittled down to my absolute favorite items and classic styles (all purchased at Goodwill or other thrift stores). 

I received a $25 gift card to a home store and purchased three packs of 25 hangers at $12.99 for a total out of pocket cost of roughly $15 with taxes. Then I got home, started hanging away and tossing my cheap, mismatched plastic hangers we had collected over the years. While I was at it, I also stood there in my closet for several minutes carefully looking at every single item of clothing hanging on those glorious new hangers. Could I trim a few more items from my closet?

After considering the wardrobe I had, there were some items I was able to let go of, including some dresses that we were hardly worn, a few of my not-so-favorite tops, and a few pairs of shoes that hadn't been used in months. I urged my husband to let go of a few more of his shirts, and we were able to clear out some more items in our new walk-in closet. I added a hanging organizer that I snagged for less than $10 and hauled away all of the donations to my nearest Goodwill, less than a mile away from our new home. 

So, is it worth it? When I walked into the house with my new hangers, I looked at my husband and said, "Look, I know this sounds crazy, but I bought some hangers." His response: "Why?!" I know it may make no sense to many people, but knowing that you only have a set number of hangers can keep you from amassing more clothing just because you have the room for them. Our new closet is larger than our laundry "room", so I want to be sure to keep it in check. Here they are, in all their glory. And yes, this is all of the clothing we own. I also own five pairs of shoes, while my husband owns ten. He loves t-shirts, as you can tell, also. 



Looking for some velvet hangers? You can find them in a discounted home goods store like Ross, Marshall's, or TJ Maxx. I bought our set at Home Goods ($12.99 for 25) and then bought another at Wal-Mart ($9.99 for 30). 

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!