Saturday, August 30, 2014

Birth Story: Ina May Gaskin and The Farm Midwives

In my journey through research into midwives, I found a documentary which features who I would call the nation's mother of midwifery, Ina May Gaskin. The documentary takes place at The Farm, and focuses on the history of Ina May and the midwives that reside there or have practiced there over the years. It's a truly powerful message that can give women the confidence they need to give birth in a more natural way.

I love the empowerment that I feel by taking charge of my health and pregnancy without feeling belittled or silly about any questions that I have. There's a sense of "everything is going to be OK!" when I'm speaking with the midwives, and I don't fear an epidural (because I won't be having one), or not being able to get up and move like my body wants during labor. Many women I speak with call me brave, but I don't think that's what it is. I'm being natural. I'm not saying that hospital births aren't right for anyone else, but I do feel I would be most comfortable at a birth center giving birth in water. Call me a hippie, I don't care! 

To pique your interest, check out the trailer for Birth Story below. Ina May is fighting for women to take birth back into their own hands. I felt a range of emotions when I watched this movie, and I heard a resounding "YES" in my head during many scenes.


Watch it online for $12.99! I thought it was well worth the price, and I downloaded a digital copy to share with my family.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!