Saturday, August 23, 2014

I deleted my Facebook nearly two weeks ago. So, is my life falling apart?

I recently noted that I decided to quit Facebook. In case you haven't read, I'm over three months pregnant now (13 weeks today!) and had an awakening with how much info I wanted to share or didn't want to share about my pregnancy. Did I want to post every single baby bump photo? Share my ultrasound pictures or complain about how tired I've been for the last week? No, that's what The Little Red Journal is for! All kidding aside, I decided it was time to shut it down and focus on other things. Like my husband.

I have been really interested in why other people would quit Facebook and have been reading different studies and stories on this. I ran across this Buzzfeed video with reasons to quit Facebook. It's kind of funny that Buzzfeed would say this because I'm pretty sure they've gained their popularity by people sharing their content... ON FACEBOOK. Not sure, but I'm betting that video went viral like all of their other content on there.


Was I an addict? Hell yes. I would spend at least an hour if not more on an average day as the video claims just scrolling. Why?!?! I only had 96 friends when I permanently deleted my account. I wasn't friends with 400 like most people. I had close friends and mostly relatives, but I grew tired of the cryptic status updates such as "Oh my gosh, that totally sucks!", or "I can't believe that just happened to me!" I decided it was time to cut the addiction and start living more.

Since deleting Facebook, I've been able to:

  • focus more and not think about what my feed is up to
  • avoid following the latest drama with a friend
  • spend more time with my husband in the evenings after we get home from work
  • connect more with friends on a one-on-one basis
  • think more about how I can create content for the blog
  • be more productive at work and in my personal life.

So, what's stopping you from breaking the addiction?

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

2 comments:

  1. It is official, I am deleting my fb! Thank you for the inspiration, Kelsey!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!