Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Rebooting my system with juicing


I have a confession to make. Even though I've been vegan nearly a year and half by now, I still struggle with eating the right kinds of vegan foods. It's so easy to get caught up eating the same thing or defaulting to easy meals that lack some of the great foods that I started my journey with. This past Saturday, I wasn't feeling the best, and I knew I needed a reboot. I immediately watched Hungry for Change as a refresher, and then Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead right after.

My husband soon peered over my shoulder and began watching the juicing documentary, too. He showed an interest, and I knew it would be a good time to try this out with him. The last time I had watched this was probably over two years ago. I had been working in a stressful job, and thought I would give juicing a try. I promptly bought a juicer, tried it for only a few days, then gave up after deciding it was too annoying to hear my old boss joke about it non-stop. I stored the juicer in the cabinet and recently almost sold it on Craigslist, but backed out on the deal at the last minute. I knew there was a reason I still had it!

That was before my big lifestyle change, and I probably should have gone ahead and done it anyway. Who knows what would have happened. I guess it's too late to wonder those things, so instead, I've decided to give it another shot. I'm not doing the 60-day juice-only fast like Joe Cross did in his movie, but I'll be adding it in to my diet as a supplement and sort of "snack" for the times I want to reach for a [vegan] Oreo or some chik'n nuggets. That is all fine in moderation, sure, but I need to get back to my plant-based path.

So here we are! I've done this for a couple of days now, and I have to say, it feels good. The first time I did this, I found that the veggie juices I was making were somewhat tougher to swallow. The fruits are obviously easier to handle since they have a bit of sweetness to them naturally. As I type, I'm sipping on what was a carton of strawberries and two handfuls of honeydew melon. This is seriously the best combination I have found yet.

Check out the trailer for Joe's film, Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead [available for streaming on Netflix] below. It's a must-see for anyone looking to reboot or someone facing some serious health issues. I know it sounds totally weird to juice, and I can confess that I thought the same exact thing, but there are some crazy awesome benefits, so why not give it a try?


One carton of strawberries
One and a half cucumbers
One carton of strawberries and one handful honeydew melon
Honeydew melon & strawberries combo -- the best by far!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!