Monday, April 15, 2013

Minimalism 101: We The Tiny House People


In the last several months, I have been re-evaluating many things. I feel like they have all stemmed from going vegan and changing my lifestyle, but it opened many doors into my finances and how I lived. After watching Adam Baker's TED Talk about debt and what freedom meant to him, I started to wonder if I was always meant to live by not following "the script". In many ways, when I began dating my husband over eight years ago, I envisioned how it would all unfold. Dating, college, landing the perfect job, engagement, marriage, buying a home, having two kids, etc. 

Then as we progressed throughout our life, we found all of these things to be somewhat unattainable and impossible to follow the path that I always thought we were meant to follow. A few months ago, I realized that no, I don't need to have all of these things in that order to be happy in life, and that not everyone lived the American Dream. What I did find was marvelous. Instead of buying McMansions, I found a documentary that revolved around space, basic comforts in a home, and a way of living that went against every thought and dream that I had. 

We, The Tiny House People is a great documentary that focuses on a different way to live. I sat here in amazement as I watched how each home was different than the next, although had the same principles and goals in mind. Living small was not only environmentally smart, but it's also financially flexible. Why hadn't I considered this before? I challenge you to watch this and re-evaluate what you think is most important in life. It's not always about getting the next best thing or having the most square footage.

Enjoy the full documentary below in its entirety!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!