Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Vegan Diet 101: The Overconsumption of Food


I like to frequent Reddit, and one of my favorite subreddits other than r/minimalism and r/vegan is r/anticonsumerism. After watching the video below, I found myself repulsed in many ways. Even now that I am a vegan, there is still something unsettling about the video. There are no words in the video simply because they were able to tell this story without them. If you're still consuming animals, then it's worth taking a look.

Especially in the beginning of my lifestyle change, many people would respond to my journey as though they could never make these adjustments as I had. At first, I insisted that I was doing this only for my health. As time went on, my journey started to take another turn. I now realized that after reading Skinny Bitch and watching half of Earthlings (once you watch it, you'll understand why I only sat through an hour of it), something hit me.


These animals are no different than our dogs or cats. Why were we consuming them instead of our dogs? What makes them different? And more importantly, how were they being treated so inhumanely without anyone really caring? When I bring this up to non-vegans, I often hear, "I don't care about the animals..." or "They are for US to eat!" Would you allow your dog to be put in a cage, poked, prodded, watch its tail be cut off?

I know I may sound extreme (oh no, I sound like I did when I first went vegan!), but this happens to billions of animals each year. The total tally is over 56 billion, to give you some idea. I can't even fathom that number! Take a look at the video below and take a peek inside some of the food industry's darkest secrets.

Will it move you to change?

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

1 comment:

  1. I went through the exact transition you just described! I went plant-based initially for health reasons [for me, after watching FOK and FSaND i was forever changed!] but then really started getting into the ethical sides of veganism... especially after watching Earthlings! Anytime i find myself slipping or getting complacent, i watch PETA videos and read articles to jar me back into place!
    I really love your blog, thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!