Sunday, July 24, 2011

Art Imitating Life

Have you ever found one movie that truly speaks to you? I mean to where you compare every detail of your life and create links and meaning to every part of it? When I was younger, I remember taking the extremes of comparison with a little movie called Moulin Rouge.

Now before you go and start making fun of my movie choice, let me be very clear. I was in a time of my life that is completely opposite of my present one. I had no true love (my excuse: I was 15), a passion for singing broadway-style songs at the top of my lungs with music blaring from my dad's sound system from the 80s and felt very much alone.

I believe this was around nine years ago when I desperately wanted a boyfriend, true love and a movie-like life. Moulin Rouge had all of the aforementioned key elements. Like my current situation, the main character was infatuated with a love interest (Satine) who was completely unattainable.

In his quest for true love, he had crept around the squirrelly-looking financier (who thought the same woman was into him) while the dashing Ewan McGregor snatched up Nicole Kidman (Satine). Have I lost you yet?

In a story of impossible love, Satine chose the penniless writer over the wealthy financier. Then she died that same night. How horrible, right? That brought me back to reality and I realized this was not in comparison to my own life. Right when the unlikely character you rooted for the whole movie finally gets the girl, she dies of some obscure disease they vaguely mentioned throughout the film.

I wanted a boyfriend, but not that bad.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!